Kent Access Permit

Kent Access Permit - Penalties for Non-Compliance

UPDATE 20/04/2021

"The following services closed on 20 April 2021:

  • Apply for a Kent Access Permit (KAP)
  • Check an HGV is ready to cross the border

You do not need a KAP to enter Kent."

To travel through Kent to the port of Dover and Folkestone terminal, HGV drivers (in vehicles over 7.5 tonnes) will be required to hold a Kent Access Permit (KAP) from January 2021. This permit will only be obtainable by drivers who have provided all of the correct documentation required for freight movement at the port. This permit will only be accessible for 24 hours.

    As with any permit, there are penalties if you do not have one. The UK Government says the following about fines for non-compliance -

    • Both Kent police and the DVSA will have the power to impose a £300 fixed penalty fine for non-compliance to border readiness checks (and having a KAP)
    • As with other fines issued for failure to comply with the traffic restrictions or for failure to follow an instruction from a traffic officer, fines for not having a valid KAP would be levied using fixed penalty notices for UK HGV drivers, and financial penalty deposit notices for foreign drivers
    • Fines would normally be expected to be paid on the spot, although UK drivers would have up to 28 days to pay if required.
    • Foreign drivers are unable to delay payment. If a driver refuses to pay (whether they are a UK or EU driver), their HGV could be immobilised.

    UK Government

    It is worth noting that you will need a special licence or certificate to export some types of goods from the UK including

    • Live animals - e.g. horses, poultry under 72 hours old
    • Animal products - e.g. meat, dairy, eggs, honey, pet food
    • Fishery products - e.g. fresh fish, shellfish, live fish
    • Plant and plant based products - e.g. living plants, fruits and vegetables, trees, wood, bark
    • Other restricted goods - alcohol, tobacco, firearms, drug precursor chemicals, waste, CITES

    More information is available on the UK Government 'Check an HGV is ready to cross the border (Kent Access Permit)' page.

    Freightlink can arrange your Kent Access Permit for you. Now available at checkout when making your booking. Simply provide us with the required documentation and you'll be good to go.

    18 November 2020

    Search and Book

    Wed, 6 Dec 2023
    Thu, 7 Dec 2023
    Need help?